One of the biggest reasons for people to avoid any visit to a dental clinic is the fear of the equipment. Now let me tell you something – The dental professional which you will choose is qualified enough and has years of experience. They will never perform any procedure (surgical or non-surgical) without any precaution. So for the purpose of surgical procedure dentistry has a new development called sedation dentistry. The information present in this article is for you to understand that sedation dentistry is safe and really important.
Honestly you must not have heard much about sedation dentistry but it has been in existence since a really long time. There is one sedation dentistry technique which is being since 1840s till date. In this technique your dentist will use Nitrous Oxide popularly known as laughing gas. Furthermore the use of ether in general sedation was introduced in the dentistry vertical by a Welsh Student.
Sedation Dentistry is apt for those patients who have the tendency of feeling anxiety when they have to undergo a dental treatment. Sedative can be used for any sort of dental treatment whether it is surgical or simply tooth whitening and cleaning. So basically sedation dentistry helps a patient to relax and feel nothing while undergoing a dental treatment. At times this procedure is referred to as sleep dentistry however the fact is that even though sedatives are applied patients are still awake.
Sedation Dentistry involves four levels:
• Minimal: Where-in the patient is awake but is completely relaxed.
• Moderate: You won’t remember every detail and step of the procedure but you might speak in a dizzy tone.
• Deep: Not completely awake and not completely unconscious.
• General: You will be completely unconscious.
This form of dentistry is categorized into four types. These types have been mentioned below:
• Inhaled minimal: Here you will be breathing in laughing gas or Nitrous oxide. The gas is inhaled in combination with oxygen through a mask. It helps in relaxing your entire body and nerves.
• Oral: You will be given a pill an hour before the procedure will start. The sedation can range from minimal to moderate depending upon the total dose. The effect will be that you will feel drowsy but will still be awake. You might even sleep but can be awaken by a little shake.
• IV moderate: You will receive this sedation through a vein. The effect is quick.
• Deep: This will make your body completely unconscious. You won’t wake up unless the effect of sedative subsides.
Apart from all these sedatives that are being used you will also receive a local anesthesia. This will help in numbing the area where your dentist will perform the procedure.
As mentioned before sedation dentistry is best for those who anxiety problem. This problem prevents them patients from visiting the dental clinic. The other reasons why sedation dentistry is best for you are:
• You cannot tolerate pain
• You can’t sit at the dentist’s chair
• Tooth Sensitivity
• You gag too soon
• Some major dental problems to be fixed in terms of surgery.
You need to tell your dental professional that you suffer from any of the above listed problems. After gauging the dental problem he/she will then decide whether you will undergo sedation dentistry or not. They will also decide the type of sedation which is right for you.
There is no harm in looking into sedation dentistry. You must know that a dentist who is performing this procedure is someone who understands your problem and is ready to work with you.